9.29.2009

The Art of Family: Sisters


The timeless relationship of sisters—whether it is sister-to-sister or brother-to-sister—has been immortalized in literature (Little Women), film (Meet Me in St. Louis; Fiddler on the Roof), and song (“Sisters, Sisters” in White Christmas). Sisters can provide some of the strongest bonds one has and the best opportunity for influence. Have you ever met the sister of a long-time friend of yours? Have you noticed how, when you’re talking to her, you seem to be talking to your friend? The same mispronunciations, habits, quirks, and mannerisms are often so aptly duplicated in sisters that the comparison is eerie. With three sisters of my own, I have come to appreciate the impact I can have on my sister’s lives. While there is often an emphasis on the elder sister’s example (don’t I know it!), younger sisters can have just as great an impact. Scott Adams, a cartoonist, once said, “You don’t have to be a ‘person of influence’ to be influential. In fact, the most influential people in my life are probably not even aware of the things they’ve taught me.”
In order for older sisters to help their younger sisters, and younger sisters to help their older sisters, and brothers to help their sisters, however, everyone must have a key starting point: a good relationship with each other. “You cannot antagonize and influence at the same time,” J.S. Knox said, and truer words were never spoken, because they are based in Scriptural principles:
“From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? …Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble (James 4:1, 5 and 6).”
I am always blessed by the little things my siblings do for me—the mornings when Jonah makes my bed, or Susanna compliments my hair, or Melanie shares what God has been teaching her, or Micah opens the door for me, or Lauren volunteers to make that phone call both of us were dreading. I store up in my memory these precious gems. These are the things my siblings do for their sisters, and they have given me the boost I need to continue following God with joy and courage.
So examine your life today, following the principles of Matthew 5:22-24, and see if there is any conflict between you and your sister. With God’s help, go and mend this broken relationship, and then set about befriending your sister until you are inseparable, irrational, and incessant cheerleaders, friends, and accountability partners: then you will have a sister.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mikaela, for the post. :) I love it when I am associated with my dear sister because she is such a remarkable and lovely person! Yes, I'm partial, but I am extremely blessed to have her in my life. I have learned more from her than just about anybody else. She is likely not aware of all those "lessons" she has taught because she has simply lived them.
    Thank you for the good reminder of the sphere of our influence, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful, true, and God-honoring post! It has inspired me to examine my life more closely according to Scripture. I am so blessed to have my twin sister :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments like we love sunshine and chocolate and chubby babies!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin