11.11.2011

Mirror, Mirror of My Heart

Photo Credit

I look into the mirror,
And I don’t like who I see.
An awkward, blemished person
Who cannot really be me.

I claw my skin and look in;
My filthy heart is rotting,
Is heinous like none else,
Is sin-clogged, hardly pumping.

I turn away, disgusted,
To beautiful Jesus' gaze.
His eyes show no repulsion
As His pierced hands touch my face.

He strips all my ugliness;
He swathes me with His beauty.
He carves out my foul, sick heart;
A newborn one He gives me. 

I smile into the mirror,
And I see Jesus, clearer. 
I go with Him; the old me
Is left beneath the mirror. 

8 comments:

  1. Lauren, that is so beautiful!!! You did an amazing job! And those are such comforting truths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynnae--Those truths comfort me as well, so often! This world focuses on good self-esteem, but really I must focus on who I am in Christ!
    Nela--You're welcome! Thank you for reading!
    Debbie-Lynne--It's good to hear from you again! Your encouraging words always bring a smile to my face! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem, Lauren!
    It goes along with some thoughts I had this morning in church. Only Christ knows the real me and though I want to "hide" in shame, I instead must run humbly to Him. To the only One who can change the real me to become who He intended me to be - like Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Lauren! The "I claw my skin" made me think of Eustace - we really are so helpless to change ourselves...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruthie--I'm so glad that Christ, in knowing the real me, yet loves me! That is the amazing thing!
    Sarah--I can't remember if I was thinking of Eustace when I originally wrote this, but I know that thought came to me as well when I was refining the poem to post! I love that part of Eustace's story!
    TC--Thank you! (-:

    ReplyDelete

We love comments like we love sunshine and chocolate and chubby babies!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin