9.17.2010

Six Little Light Bulbs for a Rainy Day

1. At the age of five, my now eight year old brother Jonah dictated the following from Lancaster County, PA: "Crystal was fun to play with. Crystal was a dog.  Crystal was sometimes mean to me.  Crystal was brown and black and white.  But you couldn't pull the hair off her.  She would go "bark, bark, bark."  Crystal was gonna have babies.  She was pregadant.  I thought she was a he, and then someone told me she was going to have babies, and I was like, "He's don't have babies!"  Crystal was an Amish dog." 

2. Bible class this semester assigns one or more New Testament books to read, note certain aspects of God in, outline, summarize, and research every week. Also, I will be reading through John and Hebrews three or four times with a magnifying glass. But here’s the point, sharpened upon the blade of Acts: have you ever been reading a passage of Scripture, and suddenly a sentence leaps out at you as something your own heart has been crying lately, something your own mind has been questioning, or your own hands doing? Are you ever silenced by amazement as you wonder,“Is it possible that I am reading exactly what my very heart has wondered? How can Peter, or Paul, or Luke be saying exactly what I am feeling?” Because God wrote that sentence for me and for you, I can only sit in awe at the beautifully literary, stunningly applicable, and everlastingly truthful words of Scripture. Here is just one of many such verses that echoed my heart this week: “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.” (Acts 3:19) Who hasn’t longed for times of refreshing from the presence of the Lord?

3. A few favorite quotes: “Never in the history of fashion has so little material been raised so high to reveal so much that needs to be covered so badly.” -Sir Cecil Beaton on mini-skirts                                                
“If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” –Milton Berle                                     
“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

4. In the sad, dark B.V.M (Before VitaMix) days, we would fill our blender with delectable frozen fruits and ice, fit on the lid, turn it on, and…noise enough to bring a lawsuit from our neighbors, but ice chunks with fruit sauce was our only reward. And if we dared take it further…is the blender supposed to smoke like that? Yeah. Nice. Now, I’m sipping my delightfully smooth smoothie, enjoying lots of summer’s end fruit in drinkable form! Thank you Craigslist! Along those same lines, the girls of our household are working through Sue Gregg’s whole foods cookbooks with some friends via Google chat, and I am so enjoying the delicious healthy foods! I actually love whole wheat, brown rice, and the like (although I’m ever a devoted white flour piecrust fan), and learning about how good it is for your body makes it all that much more enjoyable!  It's also been amazing to study what the Bible has to say about food--who knew it talked about lentils, and millet, and spelt? 

5. Please stand by for a Public Service Announcement: Elections are less than two months away, and if you are an American citizen, over 18, and are sure you’re not a convicted felon (um…) but you are not registered to vote, you are not allowed to read One Bright Corner. Just kidding. Or not so much, because you need to stop midsentence and go here to register.  Now--shoo! 

6. I’ve recently discovered Katherine Jenkins, the most amazing classical singer. Check out this delightful song by her:

As always, use discretion, for not all of her songs are good, and watch out for the modesty issue, but I have found several that I am quite enjoying! 
With that, I'll close my eccentricly haphazard list of light bulbish things, leaving you to cuddle up in your scarves and slippers this dreary weekend that is hopefully now just a bit brighter. 

Picture Credit

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh...she does have beautiful voice! :) I loved all six of your smiles for the weekend.
    Not to gloat, though, (well, ok, maybe a little) but it is sunny and 70 here in Sun River... :D
    Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post... Its been pretty dreary where I am too. I can tell you have an earnest desire to know God to the fullest... May you find more and more of Him as you seek Him with all your heart and may He guide you in all truth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the thorough, adorable thoughts of your once-5-year-old brother, I totally relate to light bulb #2 (that's why I retreat to the Psalms often), and did you know that Il Divo sings Rejoice? I think that song is so beautiful.
    It's cold here too, but I'm enjoying getting out my trench coats and sweatshirts. I love fall, so much. :) Keep warm...
    love,
    Kelsey :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah--I thought you'd like Katherine! And Sun River--you lucky duck! Can't wait to hear all about it!
    Etoile Oye--Thanks so much! Dreary weather aside, Jesus is so, so good!
    Kelsey--The Psalms are such a dessert, aren't they? And you're right--so often I read the Psalms and it mirrors my own heart. I haven't heard Il Divo singing Rejoice, so I'll definitely have to go check that out, as I enjoy their music as well!
    Fall, trenchcoats, scarves, boots--sounds great! Thanks for your sweet wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The VitaMix is truly amazing. I love mine :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments like we love sunshine and chocolate and chubby babies!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin